The Road to Rehab
The Road to Rehab
5 Steps to Getting into Rehab
Your life is probably unrecognizable since you fell into the dark hole of addiction. You probably find yourself in debt, without a job and alone. The way out of the chaos is through rehab, but where do you go and how do you get there? Here are steps to take to make the process of getting into rehab easy and painless. Step 1: Admitting you need help Sounds pretty easy but this can be very difficult. When you are drinking or doing drugs, you think that you are in control of your life and your substance use. It takes a lot of courage to admit that you aren’t in control and you have a problem. Step 2: Make a list of “need to know” information Now that you have made a decision to seek addiction treatment, you need to decide where to go. There are so many rehabs around the country that offer different things, it can be overwhelming. However, if you have an idea of what you want or need from treatment, it narrows down the search. Here are some questions that you may want to ask any potential drug and alcohol rehab center.
- Is the program accredited?
- What credentials and licenses does the program’s staff hold?
- How long do I have to stay in treatment?
- What is the patient-to-therapist ratio?
- Is medical detox offered?
- Does the program offer an individualized treatment program?
- Does the program address my needs, including medical, psychological, spiritual, social and health and wellness issues?
- Does my family get any support while I’m in rehab?
- Does the program offer dual-diagnosis treatment (mental health and substance abuse happening at the same time)?
- Is there ongoing support after I leave treatment?
- Does the program work with insurance companies?
Step 3: Start spreading the news
So now that you have narrowed your search, you must decide where to go. Letting your support system know your plans to go to drug and alcohol rehab can help you finalize your choice. With the support and advice of your friends and family, you can feel confident about your choice of seeking treatment for drugs and alcohol and pick the best rehab program for you.
Step 4: Getting ready to go to rehab
As you prepare to go to rehab, you should find out what you are allowed to bring. Many rehabs provide a list of suggested items and clothing. Rehab facilities advise that you bring comfortable clothing, medications that you take, etc. The same goes for items that are not permitted, such as cell phones, laptops and other personal devices.
Step 5: Keep your eye on the goal
Your goal is being free of drugs and alcohol and you can achieve this goal by going to rehab. With that in mind, you should remember that temptation still exists. Here are a few “do’s and don’ts” that will help you stay on track with your goal of being free of drugs and alcohol.
- Do surround yourself with positive people who support your choice of seeking treatment.
- Don’t drink or do drugs “for old times’ sake.” This can end in changing your mind or death.
- Don’t visit your drug or drinking buddies or your usual “spots.”
- Do remember all the positives a sober life will bring you.
The road to recovery is not an easy one, but you won’t regret taking the journey. What you learn in rehab will help you throughout your life and give you a new lease on life.
Get Help Now!
Stepping Stone Center helps addicts turn their lives around. Learn the tools you need to lead a life free from the chains of addiction at our drug and alcohol rehab program. Begin to heal the wounds that you have tried to numb with drugs and alcohol with the help of our knowledgeable and caring staff. Call Stepping Stone Center now and start a new life. It only takes one phone call.