Finding Happiness in Recovery
You have come to know a lot of people in different stages of recovery. Some are happy and doing well and some are not. It’s clear that alcohol and drugs don’t lead to happiness. If you went to alcohol and drug rehab, you learned that you used drugs to cope with unwanted feelings. However, the amount of time spent sober doesn’t guarantee happiness and wellness, either. So how do you find a feeling of satisfaction in your life and get over the feeling of depression in recovery? The answer lies within you.
The Road to Being Happy
Happiness in recovery is not an exclusive thing for some. The reality is that everyone is responsible for their own happiness. However, for some, it’s not easy for them to reach it. The path to happiness requires work on your part and doesn’t require a lot of money or brand name items.
5 Wellness Tips:
- Taking care of you. Caring for your mind, body and soul is essential. It’s no use if you are physically fit but emotionally in pain. Get into physical, mental, emotional and spiritual shape with activities such as exercising, meditating, therapy, etc. These activities help you keep healthy and balanced.
- Giving back. You have had many people in your life and recovery giving you precious knowledge, skills and care to help you get on track. Offering help, guidance and care to others who are struggling or are in need can bring you satisfaction.
- Surround yourself with love. You know that saying ‘birds of a feather flock together.’ If you surround yourself with people who love and care for you and your recovery, that love and care rubs off on you. Although you may face challenges, having a good support system gets you through the difficult times. It’s a good feeling to know that you have a group of people who truly care and support you. Makes you happy, doesn’t it?
- Setting attainable goals. It’s a great feeling when you set and achieve reasonable, attainable goals. When you achieve goals, it makes you realize that you can lead a successful life and you are not broken. That feeling of accomplishment gives way to feeling happy.
- Forgiving. This is a difficult thing to do for some people, but once you do forgive others or yourself, a weight is lifted. Letting go of the pain and resentment from the past makes way for happiness to settle in your heart.
Go for It!
When you work on you and relationships, you are able to get through your painful past and find balance in your life. Happiness is possible; all it takes is for you to reach out and go for it.