What are the Principles of Effective Addiction Treatment?
With addiction treatment, one has to resist the temptation to assume the process is simple. In fact, the exact opposite is true. Given the complicated nature of the disease of addiction, the process of treating it involves looking at its many facets and coming up with the appropriate treatment strategy on an individual basis.
The Need for a Full-Service Treatment Center
In order to properly address the full scale of the needs patients may have, a full-service addiction treatment center like the Stepping Stone Center for Recovery will be better prepared to access and come up with a strategy that holds the key to a lasting recovery. If treatment centers fail to leave no stone unturned in accessing the issues, the probability of relapse is drastically increased.
The Principles of Effective Addiction Treatment
When it comes to treating any kind of addiction, it has to be done right the first time with so much on the line for the individuals who are suffering addiction. Here are 13 principles of addiction treatment that have been identified as crucial to the success of the process.
- No single treatment is appropriate for all individuals – Individual problems require individual solutions.
- Treatment needs to be readily available – The urgency of illness of demands immediate attention.
- Effective treatment attends to multiple needs of the individual, not just his or her drug use – Address the whole individual’s needs is essential for long-term recovery.
- Treatment needs to be flexible – When current treatment methods are ineffective, adjustments must be made in the treatment process to achieve greater success.
- Remaining in treatment for an adequate period of time is critical for treatment effectiveness – Ending treatment prematurely will nearly always lead to a relapse.
- Individual and/or group counseling and other behavioral therapies are critical components of effective treatment for addiction – This is an essential part of helping patients develop the life skills necessary for relapse prevention.
- Medications are an important element of treatment for many patients – This is particularly important during detox or when addressing mood disorders.
- Addicted or drug-abusing individuals with coexisting mental disorders should have both disorders treated in an integrated way – Dual diagnosis treatment is required to simultaneously address all potential causes of addiction.
- Medical detoxification is only the first stage of addiction treatment – Detox only addresses the physical addiction, other treatments are needed to get to the core of the disease.
- Treatment doesn’t need to be voluntary to be effective – Getting patients into treatment by almost any means is a step in the right direction.
- Possible drug use during treatment must be monitored continuously – the Patient process must be monitored to assure intermittent substance abuse isn’t circumventing the process.
- Treatment programs should provide assessment for HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases – This is a useful way to assess risk issues and possible behavioral problems.
- Recovery from drug addiction can be a long-term process – There are no easy fixes.
Get the Help You Need
Before you let your addiction destroy your life, the Stepping Stone Center for Recovery implores you to reach out for help. At our 24-hour full-service facility, our licensed counselors and clinicians are prepared to devise an appropriate addiction treatment program to set you on the road to recovery. Call us today at 866-957-4960 to get started on the road back to sobriety.